Friday, February 14, 2020

Scary Stories for Young Foxes

The first two "scary stories" in this compilation of scary fox stories are ABSOLUTELY terrifying. I had to stop after the first encounter with Mr. Scratch because I was legitimately spooked. I even told my husband I didn't think I could finish! But the stories got progressively milder after that and then I realized that all the stories were actually one big story and knowing that there would be a nice story arc and at least one fox would survive til the end (don't get attached to any foxes) because otherwise it wouldn't be one big story made the rest of the book completely manageable. The interesting thing is that the dangers and villains of this book are all completely legitimate dangers to foxes! Rabies and humans and alligators (I guess) and winter and murderous father figures. I certainly developed some empathy for foxes (one of the author's intents, I believe) and I was riveted til the end (after my pause following chapter two).

Recommendation: Absolutely, unless you're a huge fan of Beatrix Potter. Christian Heidicker is an excellent story teller, Mia and Uly are lovable fox heroes and the story itself is fresh and unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment