Thursday, May 9, 2024

Elf Dog and Owl Head


I have been trying really hard to get my 8-year-old into chapter books. He loves graphic novels, but I'm never sure how much he is reading and how much he is just looking. And while I have grown to enjoy graphic novels, there is something about imagination and setting and story telling that doesn't happen with a graphic novel. The last chapter book I tried to get him excited about was actually above his reading level (which frustrated him), so I had him look at the covers of all my 2024 Newberys and decide which one he wanted to read. Elf Dog (obviously) won. So I read it once on my own and now he's reading it to me. While reading the first chapter, he reacted like this guy reading a fantasy novel. He kept looking at me confused and saying, "What?"  "What is a wyrm?" "Who are the people under the mountain?""Why are they hiding from humans?"
Not going to lie; it was kinda fun.

My review: This book was okay. Just okay. The fantastical bits were mildly entertaining. Angsty DiRossi was annoying. The consequences and explanations were incomplete. I didn't connect with any of the characters (except maybe the know-it-all little sister Juniper). Perhaps the biggest drawback: I just really don't understand people's love of dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment