Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Phebe Fairchild: Her Book

 Phebe Fairchild was the least interesting of my three BYU-library summer reads. I had to force myself to read it during my last few days of vacation and read the last 50 pages on my final drive before going to the airport.

It felt a little like an Anne of Green Gables wannabe, with a young female protagonist who feels like an orphan (her parents are at sea for the entire book) and shows up in a town that's not quite prepared for her pluck and an older rich great aunt who loves her for it (though in AOGG, it's Diana's great aunt).  But I honestly didn't think there was much to Phebe's personality. The only thing that really makes her stand out from her cousins and others is that she likes nice clothes and jewels and reading Mother Goose (which was apparently quite shocking in 1830 Puritan New England). 

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment