Friday, June 10, 2022

Whistlers' Van


Long ago, I attended a university (BYU) with a never-ending supply of old, out-of-print Newberys. And by never-ending, I mean that I never exhausted their supply while I was a student. It was only after I left that I discovered that not all university libraries are so equipped (which discovery actually led to this blog). Many times I have wished to be close to this library again as I search in vain for my remaining 15 Newberys (none of which, it appears, are even in the state of Georgia). And then, just two weeks ago, I found myself near my old university library and it occurred to me that my husband's little brother had a library card! I immediately set up a library date with him and I now have in my possession THREE old Newberys from my list (the only ones I could remember!!).

Whistler's Van - 1937 Honorwas my first pick for my vacation.

Synopsis: The story follows Gwilym, a teenage Welsh boy, whose grandfather/guardian leaves one night without telling anyone and he suspects it is to follow a band of gypsies. So Gwilym leaves the next day with a band of "gipsies" or "Rommany" in search of adventure/his grandfather/wanderlust. 

Review: It wasn't as bad as some other old Newberys, but the speech used (lots of Welsh and Rommany words) and the style of writing (weird) both made it hard to follow. Half the time I was not actually sure what was happening or who was talking or what they were talking about. 

Discovery: I don't have an ounce of "Gipsy" blood. The idea of traveling around in a "caravan" and never setting up a permanent home was completely unappealing to me. I kept hoping the whole time that Gwilym would just go home already!

No comments:

Post a Comment