Friday, February 24, 2023

Iveliz Explains it All

 This book was quick and easy and heavy and sad. Iveliz is messing up again? She hit someone else?! She's still mad at her mom? Why won't she talk to her therapist? Why won't she talk to her mom? I felt the same way while reading this book as I do when I'm close friends with someone with an untreated mental illness: exasperated, incredulous, tired. But honestly, usually I don't stay in those friendships for long because they are so exhausting (which is one reason I thought Amir was, like, the champion of all champions for sticking it out as Iveliz' friend). So, bravo to Andrea Beatriz Arango for what I thought was an excruciatingly accurate portrayal of a mental illness and how absolutely tiring it is for everyone in that person's life. The book was well done and important and a page-turner (surprisingly), but it was also difficult to read. Again, a lot like a person with mental illness is interesting and important, but can be so difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment