Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Last Mapmaker

I seriously love Christina Soontornvat. The THREE Newberys she has written in the last 3 years have all been absolute gems. In The Last Mapmaker, she created an entirely fresh fantasy world that had little glints of Thailand but was still so unique. I think one of my favorite elements of this story was how effortlessly she incorporated both genders in all professions and personalities. I caught myself on several occasions making assumptions about genders (like assuming the ship captain was male and then being a little surprised she was female) and then loving that she did it without making any deal out of it. 

Here's my quick synopsis:

Characters: Excellent, well-developed, like-able and unlike-able

Plot: Exciting with just the right amount of mystery

Antagonist: Totally believable

Resolution: Too rushed. Everything just happened so fast at the end and so much was hard to believe.

Dragons: Did not disappoint

The Ocean: Terrifying



No comments:

Post a Comment